Cannot get the job without the experience, cannot get the experience without the job. A common problem for new starters.
- Refer to training & development needs of WHS personnel and advice to new WHS personnel
- Get at least a Cert IV in WHS BSB40415 and a Cert IV in Training and assessment, TAE40110, many employers will see this as basic qualifications, realise these are just learner permits.
- Recognise the best jobs go to those with tertiary safety qualifications
- Get a mentor
- Join a professional association, attend activities and get yourself known
- Get active on the LinkedIn WHS forums, there is currently some discussion that is relevant on the WHS Professional LinkedIn forum, be visible on the forums and promote your case
- Get a really good resume
- Learn how to manage job interviews
- Develop a highly advanced bull-dust detector as you will need it
- Network with safety people, many jobs are not advertised and come from personal referrals
- Accept the fact that recruitment consultants will frequently mess you around
- Volunteer to get experience
- Be a lifelong learner
- Once you have a really good resume register it with the major employment agencies, often they will source from their files instead of advertising a job